History

The first documentary evidence to Midloe occurs in 1135, when the manor itself was transferred from Ramsey Abbey to the Warden Abbey, at a rent of three stones of wax yearly. Essentially, a Grange was an outpost of the mother Abbey, for the purpose of supplying food and other essentials, such as the wax which would have been used for candles.

The current Midloe Grange was built by Robert Payne in around 1590 on the site of the former abbey grange. Several features around the farm survive as a direct link to the heritage of the landscape. There are a total of seven ponds of varying size, a moated enclosure, with raised internal banks and a field of ridge and furrow pasture. The field, known as ‘Horse Close’ has been continuously under pasture since at least 1630, and in all likelihood from before the dissolution. This means that the ridge and furrow present in the field can be firmly dated to the medieval period, and are thus directly connected with the former landscape of the Midloe Grange whilst held by the Abbey of Old Warden. The pasture has been managed without fertilizers and herbicides to preserve the wide range of species that grow here, several of which are scarce indicators of old lowland calcareous grassland. For more detail on the species, please see ‘Wildlife at Midloe’ page. Many of the field names in use today can also be traced back as having been in use for at least two hundred years. Names such as ‘Old Hopyard, ‘New Hopyard’ and ‘Monk’s Ditch’ again provide a link to the history associated with Midloe”

(extracts from ‘A Landscape History of the Parish of Midloe’, by Twigs Way)